Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Standard "Go To" Baby Shower Gift

I had a baby shower to attend today. I made up one of my standard "go to" baby shower gifts. It is a made of flannel that I have edged with satin blanket binding. This was always the standard gift that my mom has given for as long as I can remember.
Luckily, I am handy enough that I can make them as well. The blanket turns out larger than the standard small size baby blanket. Based on "feedback" I have received, this larger size is well liked because those tiny little babies quickly outgrow the small size blanket.
I have gotten thrifty as I have grown older and realized that they usually have the flannel on sale at JoAnn Fabrics the day after Thanksgiving. For several years in a row, it was less than $1 a yard, so I bulked up my stash (a much better price than the full price that ranges anywhere from $4.99 a yard to $7.99). Then, when I am at JoAnn's or another store that might carry blanket binding, if I have a coupon or a few extra dollars, I grab a pack of binding. When it is time to throw a blanket together, I don't have to go out shopping for all of the materials.
I usually add a little something more to my gift, too, even though I know that my time is worth way more than I could ever spend.
Do you have a "go to" gift for baby showers?
p.s. I don't know what is wrong w/ blogger today but it is not wanting to put spaces between my paragraphs and I don't have time to fool with it right now.

1 comment:

Dee said...

My go to is the baby bib from Mason-Dixon knitting.

Your blanket is so cute. I bet the baby really will appreciate that soft wrap.