Saturday, April 7, 2012

Double Vision

Okay, so I may have exaggerated just a bit with the title, but still....



I just finished making the top dress for my niece and on a whim I decided to make her a "matching" Barbie dress.

The dress for my niece is the Ice Cream Dress pattern by Oliver + S.  It looks like Oliver + S have discontinued this pattern, but it is still available for purchase on the internet at some shops:

Sew Mama Sew
Pink Chalk Fabrics
Lola Pink Fabrics

I'm sure there are other shops that are still selling this pattern, too.  The shops listed are the ones that I just managed to find really quickly.

Can I just mention how much I really like the Oliver + S patterns?  They are well written and have some great details that make all of the garments finish really nicely with a minimum of fuss.  I did end up cutting the dress for my niece approximately 2 inches longer than the pattern. There were great instructions on the Oliver + S site on how to do this, which was awesome. I had to hand off the dress to my mom for transport to my niece, so hopefully I'll see a photo of her in it soon (to tell how the length is for her).

The Barbie dress is a vintage pattern that my mom gave me and I think she had gotten it from someone else. I hope the dress actually fits the Barbie dolls as they are being made with different dimensions now.  Oh, and a word to the wise...don't try to sew little snaps on for closure on these Barbie dresses....use Velcro.  I wish I had thought of it sooner, because that would have been so much easier.

Oh, and the printed fabric is an Amy Butler design called Disco Flower in Chocolate.  I actually purchased mine at Pieceful Heart Fabrics, which is a LQS.  It is one of the more pricey LQSs, but I love them for a couple reasons.  One, they carry a lot of modern fabric, more so than any of the other shops in the area.  Two, I can find prints like this Amy Butler fabric in their clearance section (for $5.50 a yard, I think!).  I first bought only a yard of this fabric.  Then, I got the grand idea to make dresses for my niece, step-nieces, and great niece.  So, I went back and bought the remaining 4 1/2 yards of fabric.  I love being able to find a deal on quality fabric.

Now, I just have 3 or 4 more dresses to make.

I am linking up to:




The Southern Institute

8 comments:

Ellyn said...

so so cute! I think I have that Ice Cream dress pattern somewhere. I will hunt for it & make one for my niece!

Anonymous said...

Cute! Your niece is going to love having a matching dress for her doll.

AEK said...

My daughters would love a mini dress to match hers! So cute. Love the fabric too.
Angie

Emily said...

Sally that dress is so fabulous!! It makes me want to make one... but I'll leave the clothing/pattern sewing to you guys. :) Great work!

Wendy said...

Doubly cute! Love the fabric!

Andi said...

So cute! I love that you made Barbie a matching dress - your niece is a lucky little girl!

The Feisty Redhead said...

That is adorable! I love the solid color with the print in the middle. When my niece is older, I hope I'll make her some matching kid/doll clothes, too.

tattrldy said...

The dresses are mighty cute. I'll bet your niece will love that her Barbie has a matching dress.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. You asked how I learned to tat: my grandmother gave me a few pointers to get started then it was practice, practice, practice! It's much easier to learn now, there are a lot of tutorial videos on the internet that are very good.
Wanda