Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Mini-Quilt and a Clothesline

I have been asking my husband, for a couple years now, to get me a clothesline for the back yard.  We do too many things back there to get the kind that stretches across the whole yard, so I settled for a little square one:

Of course, I tested it out right away to make sure that it didn't fall over or anything.  It's the perfect size for just my husband and I.

*********************************************************************************
This week, I also made a mini-quilt for my niece to put on her doll bed.  It was her birthday and I wanted at least part of her gift to be handmade.  I had the light colored fabric for a while... it has some Peter Rabbit figures on it and luckily I had a coordinating solid.  It turned out okay, but I wish I had made it wider.  I hadn't planed on putting in that inner border of the dots, but I sewed some fabric on the wrong side (onto the height instead of the width) and I didn't want to tear it out, so I just recalculated.  


I think it turned out okay, especially for something that was totally improvisational.  I had never made a wonky star before, either.  The little one was cute, even if it did end up with several rather small points.  As evidenced by the photo, I just stipple quilted.  I only chose the stippling because that is what is fastest for me. 


Tonight, I made a flannel baby blanket and several burp cloths to give to a teacher at one of the schools I go to (didn't take any photos, though - maybe in the morning).  She had a bumpy road getting pregnant, and I thought that she deserved to get a nice little handmade gift.  

6 comments:

Ellyn said...

what a sweet little quilt! I think the inner border really sets it off nicely! & how nice of you to make blankets for the teacher's baby.

Anonymous said...

I love that quilt. The offset star is adorable.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is adorable! I love your wonky star, and I think the double border looks great :)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I bet your niece will treasure the doll quilt! The wonky stars look great and I love how the little one is offset.

kathy b said...

Your doll bed quilt is amazing. I LOVE IT

Emily said...

This is amazing! I love it! Andd...stalker Emily and I found you on facebook! :)