Monday, March 1, 2010

Getting a Little of My Craft On

Today, I managed to get started back to a little of my craftiness.  I have been slowly acquiring vintage type sheets/pillow cases in order to have enough to make a quilt. 


I started cutting up some of the pillowcases today.  I think that I ended up with 29 squares (they are 10 1/2 inches square).  I have more colorful sheets to add to the mix, too.  I just couldn't face starting the cutting process on those today. 

My grand plan is to make this quilt BIG.  I might as well start with a bang! I want to be able to use it on our bed, if need be.  We have a pillow-top mattress.  Plus, I really like the blankets to hang down and cover the sides and end of the bed.  No scrimping on covers in our house. 

Anyway, I've at least started the cutting process.  I think that I figured I would need 110 of these squares.  So, I've only cut 26% of what I need.  I'm sure that if I don't mind a lot of repeats then I definitely have enough sheets to cut the other 81 squares.  I guess I'll figure that out as I go along.

3 comments:

Permission to Unwind said...

A pillowcase quilt sounds wonderful! I love old pillowcases. They are so charming. I can never think of enough ways to use them. :) Glad to see you've had a little time for crafting, too, Sally. It's a lifesaver when things are too busy for your own good.

Liz said...

Love your pillow cases! I have the rose one myself.

Brenda said...

Can't wait to see your quilt. I have the blue one and just love it.I found the sheet to match a couple weeks ago.